Location - Kelowna, Vancouver, Seattle or Remote from Canada, Washington or California state
At Hyper Hippo Entertainment, UI/UX Designers are full stack UX professionals who live and breathe the player experience, aiming to provide business value through all experiences that they create. You demonstrate a strong understanding in all UX areas including research, conceptualization, UI design, prototyping, experimentation, testing & validation. Your ability to apply design thinking enables you to solve complex problems while remaining flexible, adaptable and focused in sometimes ambiguous situations. As a new addition to the team, you’d lead users to the value that Hyper Hippo provides while contributing your uniqueness to our team culture.
The ideal candidate is very experienced in mobile free-to-play games, has Unity experience, and is a self-starter that can hit the ground running on our ongoing projects.
A UI/UX Designer’s Impact
- Work with Senior UX team members, Game Designers, and Software Developers to define product goals and strategize ways to achieve them throughout the whole process (sprints, estimates, kick-offs, retros, etc.)
- Create detailed wireframe documentation and clickable prototypes of key features within a product and proving out core game mechanics, then design beautiful and detailed visual mockups based on validated prototyping
- Implement the consistent visual design of the UI within our products using Unity, working with Software Developers to ensure the work fits within technical and data requirements while following creative art direction
- Convert artist designs into usable pieces for game implementation, using graphics software and tools
- Participate in conducting user research and A/B testing to validate your designs are effective in creating business value
- Authentically contribute to team discussion and feedback sessions, fostering delight and supporting a culture of experimentation
Your Track Record Includes
- 3+ years of professional work experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, information architect, or similar UX-related role in the games industry
- Proven success on shipped mobile free-to-play products with an understanding of “free-to-play” business models, including customer acquisition, retention, and monetization
- Education background in Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, UX, Communication Design-related field, or equivalent professional experience
- A strong portfolio comprised of projects which demonstrate creative, user-centred design solutions to moderately complex problems with consistent and beautiful UI - highlighting UI assets you’ve produced is key
- Excellent skills in prototyping tools and design software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and XD, to produce efficient and flexible UI assets for use in Unity while understanding how design choices translate to development
- Self-motivated worker with the ability to prioritize and manage workload to meet project deadlines in an Agile project environment
- Great verbal and written communication skills and ability to present UX ideas and strategies to your peers, collect feedback, and quickly iterate to ensure the best solutions are delivered
- Ability to follow and define new conventions, contributing to the overall UX Design Team standards
- Understanding of how UI interactions and assets translate to Unity with experience modifying features. This includes the collaborative relationship with the Development team during hand-off
- Nice to Have
- Basic motion graphics and animation knowledge
- Some exposure to key analytics tools such as SWRVE and Tableau
- Experience programming in Unity (C#)
Hyper Hippo Welcomes Everyone to Apply!
Hyper Hippo is an equal opportunity employer and we celebrate every single person and what makes them unique. Having a workforce composed of individuals with different experiences and backgrounds allows our team to make better decisions and create new and exciting ideas to bring to our players. We strive for every Hippo to feel a true sense of belonging and trust.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use and please reach out if you require any accommodations or support during the recruitment process.
- Competitive salary
- Extraordinary incentive plan tied to company goals
- Extended health, dental & vision benefits + a health & wellness spending account
- Access to a company-paid Employee & Family Assistance Program
- 3 weeks vacation + 10 paid personal/sick days per year
- Annual $3,000 self development budget to attend conferences, courses, training – you name it!
- Work Style Benefit - $100/month stipend to help cover the cost of parking, home internet, fitness apps - whatever you need to be comfortable working from home or in one of our hub offices!
- Home Ergonomic Benefit for your home office - $1,000
- Charitable gift matching up to $1,000 per year for recognized causes that you support + 3 paid volunteer days per year
We’re Digital First!
- We have 3 hub offices located in Kelowna, Vancouver and Seattle along with remote employees across North America
- Our hub offices are accessible and set up to accommodate your preferences; from casual drop-ins, to a dedicated desk, it’s up to how you work best!
- If you’re based outside of one of our office hub locations, you can work remotely, with some occasional travel to BC
What We’re Building at Hyper Hippo Entertainment
Hyper Hippo is an award-winning entertainment studio, driven to entertain, connect, and inspire billions of fans around the world.
Founded in 2012, by the creator of Club Penguin, Lance Priebe, Hyper Hippo is the studio behind the smash-hit idle games, AdVenture Capitalist (with 50+ million players), and AdVenture Communist - a cult mobile hit. Hyper Hippo brings together an exceptionally creative team that is relentlessly focused on innovating and exploring new forms of entertainment.