Location - Kelowna, Vancouver, Seattle or remote (Canada, WA or CA)
COVID-19 UPDATE: Please note that all Hyper Hippo Entertainment (HHE) employees are working remotely for the time being due to COVID-19, as the health & safety of our employees and their families is extremely important to us. Due to this, we’re currently having all new hires begin work with us remotely rather than in our office locations.
At Hyper Hippo Entertainment, UI/UX Designers are full stack UX professionals who live and breathe the player experience, aiming to provide business value through all experiences that they create. You demonstrate a strong understanding in all UX areas including research, conceptualization, UI design, prototyping, experimentation, testing & validation. Your ability to apply design thinking enables you to solve complex problems while remaining flexible, adaptable and focused in sometimes ambiguous situations. As a new addition to the team, you’d lead users to the value that Hyper Hippo provides while contributing your uniqueness to our team culture.
The ideal candidate is very experienced in mobile free-to-play games, has Unity experience, and is a self-starter that can hit the ground running on our ongoing projects.
An Intermediate UI/UX Designer’s Impact
- Work with Senior UX team members, Game Designers, and Software Developers to define product goals and strategize ways to achieve them throughout the whole process (sprints, estimates, kick-offs, retros, etc.)
- Create detailed wireframe documentation and clickable prototypes of key features within a product and proving out core game mechanics, then design beautiful and detailed visual mockups based on validated prototyping
- Implement the consistent visual design of the UI within our products using Unity, working with Software Developers to ensure the work fits within technical and data requirements while following creative art direction
- Convert artist designs into usable pieces for game implementation, using graphics software and tools
- Participate in conducting user research and A/B testing to validate your designs are effective in creating business value
- Authentically contribute to team discussion and feedback sessions, fostering delight and supporting a culture of experimentation
Your Track Record Includes
- 3+ years of professional work experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, information architect, or similar UX-related role in the games industry
- Proven success on shipped mobile free-to-play products with an understanding of “free-to-play” business models, including customer acquisition, retention, and monetization. Live-Ops experience with proven success is an asset.
- Education background in Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, UX, Communication Design-related field, or equivalent professional experience
- A strong portfolio comprised of projects which demonstrate creative, user-centred design solutions to moderately complex problems with consistent and beautiful UI. Highlight of UI assets you’ve produced is key.
- Excellent skills in prototyping tools and design software such as Adobe CC Suite, Sketch, Figma, InVision (or equivalent tools) to produce efficient and flexible UI assets for use in Unity while understanding how design choices translate to development
- Self-motivated worker with the ability to prioritize and manage workload to meet project deadlines in an Agile project environment
- Great verbal and written communication skills and ability to present UX ideas and strategies to your peers, collect feedback, and quickly iterate to ensure the best solutions are delivered
- Ability to follow and define new conventions, contributing to the overall UX Design Team standards
- Understanding of how UI interactions and assets translate to Unity with experience modifying features. This includes the collaborative relationship with the Development team during hand-off.
- Nice to Have Skills
- Basic motion graphics and animation knowledge
- Some exposure to key analytics tools such as SWRVE and Tableau
- Experience programming in Unity (C#)
- Competitive salary
- Extraordinary incentive plan
- Extended health, dental & vision benefits + a health & wellness spending account
- 3 weeks vacation + 10 paid personal/sick days per year
- Annual self development budget to attend conferences, courses, training – you name it!
Our Core Values
- We Are Bold
- We Are One Team
- We Are Player-First
- We Are Creative
- We Are Transparent
- We Are Futuristic
What We’re Building at Hyper Hippo Entertainment
Hyper Hippo is an award-winning entertainment studio, driven to entertain, connect, and inspire billions of fans around the world.
Founded in 2012, by the creator of Club Penguin, Lance Priebe, Hyper Hippo is the studio behind the smash-hit idle games, AdVenture Capitalist (with 50+ million players), and AdVenture Communist - a cult mobile hit.
Headquartered in Canada, with studios in Kelowna, Vancouver and Seattle, Hyper Hippo brings together an exceptionally creative team that is relentlessly focused on innovating and exploring new forms of entertainment.